197-Foot Cell Tower Catches Fire in Lapeer, MI Due to Electrical Problems
"Wiring in a 197-foot-tall cell tower located near Elm and Saginaw streets in Lapeer caught fire Wednesday evening. Shortly after 9 p.m. last night flames were visible shooting from the top of the hollow tower, while near the base of the structure the interior fire was so hot the metal glowed orange and pink...
Lapeer Fire & Rescue and Elba Township Fire Dept. firefighters were dispatched to the fire at 9:07 p.m. There was concern that the tower could fall over onto nearby power lines and buildings. Emergency repairs will be complicated today as Lapeer County and much of southeast and mid-Michigan are under a Wind Advisory until 5 p.m. this afternoon. Southwest winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts of 40 to 45 mph are expected."
Read the news here.